Beavertail Lighthouse and Park -
Jamestown Rhode Island
||The southernmost part of Conanicut Island
is known as Beavertail, for its shape on the map.
This rocky, windswept point looks south to the
open Atlantic Ocean and separates the East and
West Passages of Narragansett Bay. It has hosted
beacons and lighthouses since at least 1705. The
current lighthouse was built in 1856.
lighthouse and the area around it is part of the
system. It includes a lighthouse
museum, grassy, wooded and
rocky areas as well as walking and biking paths.
The rocky perimeter can be a place for peaceful
contemplation or energetic climbing and
place, where land and sea meet so vigorously,
inspires a special awareness of nature's powers.
It offers abundant evidence of the determination
of life to endure, and even thrive, in difficult
information on Beavertail and other Narragansett Bay lighthouses
RI - Rhode Island Visitor Information Home Page